Technical Support Engineer
Come and join the Loadbalancer.org team, and help be a part of the solution that keeps businesses critical systems flowing.
Loadbalancer.org is home to passionate people who value our mission – that every customer needs a secure, scalable system that never goes down.
Everyone here commits to providing innovative solutions, along with expert, personalised support, so that our customers’ applications never fail.
How can you help us?
We’re experiencing rapid growth and so need to expand our renowned team of support engineers. Working as part of a single-tiered support team, you will help our worldwide customer base with a wide variety of problems.
You understand the pain a customer is suffering when a system is down, and you’re always ready to calmly put out the fire. Happy to deal with customers however they prefer – over the phone, email, chat and via remote session.
The role is based in our Portsmouth office, but you need to be flexible. Typically you will be working UK office hours – but is likely to require at least one evening (4 pm – 10 pm) per week, which can be done remotely. As the help desk is 24/7, there is also weekend cover which is currently 1-in-8 weeks on rotation for which there is an on-call payment plus claimable overtime.
As well as covering the support desk – You’ll also have plenty of time allocated for projects, research & self-directed learning i.e. more of what takes your personal interest.
Are you genuinely interested in helping customers, while improving your own technical skills? If so then this might be just the job you’ve been looking for.
The most important qualities we are looking for are the ability to work in a team, to be tolerant and help the other members of the team grow. You also need to be passionate about doing a good job and finally, you need to give a damn.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Fantastic customer service skills
- Very good networking knowledge – TCP/UDP, routing, NAT, firewall configuration, etc.
- Very good knowledge of Linux operating system: filesystem structure, commands, services, etc.
- Good understanding of common Microsoft applications such as Exchange, RDS, SharePoint, etc. and Microsoft Windows Server operating systems
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal. We work with customers who have different experience levels and so being able to adjust how a question is answered depending on who you are dealing with can be important.
- Prior experience of load balancing
- Scripting capability (Bash, Python, Powershell, etc.)
- Good working knowledge of common virtualisation platforms such as VMware, Hyper-V, etc.
- Good working knowledge of common cloud platforms such as Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure, etc.
- An understanding of WAF (mod_security) rules, GSLB, PBR, etc.
- The ability to work well and collaborate within a team or confidence to take ownership of and progress tasks independently as required
- A “can do” attitude and willingness to be flexible to get the job done
- A keen and inquisitive mind, the ability to think outside the box to help our customers
- An outgoing and friendly team
- Company/Department nights out
- Team building events
- Staff parties
- Free parking
- Free fruit
- The office is within walking distance of several local shops and restaurants
- 28-days holiday (including public holidays)
- NEST pension scheme
To apply for this role email your cv to firstname.lastname@example.org